Friday, May 30, 2014

Leadership Reflection

A lot of my blogs so far have emphasized the ed tech concepts that I have been working on and discussing with the members of my learning community. So this blog will emphasize specific elements of leadership that I have reflected on during the process thus far.

Making Change Accessible 
Before I started working with this group of teachers, I was aware that there was a large range of comfort with the technology and pedagogical changes that are required when implementing educational technology. With that in mind, I wanted to make change possible for all members of the group, without feeling overwhelmed. That means that if someone was uncomfortable with change (pedagogical or technological) I need to provide them with a small number of tools and ideas that might help move them forward on the continuum of ed tech, so that the changes are manageable. It also has meant that when group members are trying a lot of innovative things, I have provided them with a larger number of options to implement change so they can continue to progress in their technology integration. This is similar to the way we scaffold learning in our classroom as teachers. We know where individuals are at, and try to allow each person to grow from where they are. In my opinion, this helps minimize frustration and resistance through the process of change.

Autonomy
I have also been very deliberate about providing teachers freedom and choice to allow the changes in their teaching and learning to be authentic and long lasting. By allowing teachers choice, and not mandating they incorporate specific programs or concepts I believe that teachers are more willing to buy in and engage in the process of change. This concept of leadership for me, stems from my experiences with the traditional approach that schools take in terms of professional development. The idea that all teachers sit and listen to one person tell them what they need to be doing, never seems to spark much change for myself or with my colleagues. However, when teachers attend professional development where they have a say in what they will learn they can taylor their learning to where they are at. This helps them manage the change more effectively, and they are ultimately more committed to seeing the change be successful. This is why the concept of edcamps is becoming increasingly popular among teachers. Teachers show up, and decide what they want to learn about, from other teachers. They have control over what they are learning and who they are learning it from. These camps are also typically more hands on than traditional pd, which also makes it more meaningful for teachers. This is also something I have tried to incorporate within my learning community. Whenever possible I am trying to get the group members to use the technology to experience it in a more concrete way, and to reinforce the essential elements of edtech.

Creating an Enthusiasm for Change
As I began my practicum it was overwhelming to think of how I was going to influence colleagues to try new things. It has become obvious to me, that the biggest challenge in the process of change, is getting the conversations started. After meeting with small and large groups over the last few weeks, providing support to implement change, and  the conversation and enthusiasm that the group members have demonstrated have has continued even when I am not working specifically with them during a prescribed meeting time. People within the group have approached me multiple times, excited to share their latest success, or to run an idea by me. Once we got the conversation started, each member of the group has found something about educational technology that they can become enthusiastic about. That is not to say, people don't have problems or issues regarding things we are discussing. However, the enthusiasm that people have shown will help create a long lasting change, that will sustain itself long after this practicum and learning community is over.

Thus far in my practicum, I am becoming more comfortable with the role of a educational "leader." It has helped me realize that I will continue to develop my own distinct leadership style, that in many ways will be based on the ways I currently work with students.

No comments:

Post a Comment